- in 1976 – he graduated from the Faculty of Pharmacy of the Charles University in Prague, study line general pharmaceutics
- since 1976 until now he has worked at the department of pharmaceutical botany and ecology of the Faculty of Pharmacy in Hradec Králové
- in 1979 he won his doctorate (RNDr.) in natural sciences in the study line pharmaceutical chemistry at the Faculty of Pharmacy of the Charles University in Hradec Králové
- in 1985 he defended his dissertation in pharmaceutical chemistry (to win the title CSc. corresponding to the current PhD., degree IIb)
- in 1991 he defended his dissertation to win the title CSc. degree IIa
- in 1995 he received the title of associate professor of pharmaceutical botany at the Charles University in Prague
- in 2012 he received the title of professor of pharmaceutical botany at the Charles University in Prague
He specializes in methods of isolation of vegetal metabolites, content substances of higher plants and fungi, with a focus on their utilization in therapy, food industry and animal husbandry, in technologies to extract active substances and in introduction of promising medicinal herbs from non-European (Asian) regions.
Since 1988 he has worked as a secretary of the working conference CADISO-NUTRIMENTA (Cardiovascular diseases and stability of organism – food additives and their relation to prevention of diseases of cardiovascular system), organized by the department of pharmaceutical botany and ecology of the Faculty of Pharmacy of the Charles University, which also includes utilization of promising plants and compounds with specialized metabolism in prevention and treatment of the circulatory system diseases.
Since 1997 he has been leading a working group for ecology and production of medicinal herbs at the department of pharmaceutical botany and ecology of the Faculty of Pharmacy of the Charles University.
Since 2002 he has been a member of the Scientific Committee for nutrition of animals with the Ministry of Agriculture of the Czech Republic, which operates in the Research Institute of Animal Husbandry in Prague-Uhříněves, where he is an expert in utilization of plants in controlled production of farm animals and effects of toxic plants and toxic natural products on the feed and food chains.
Since 2004 he has been the head of the Information and Educational Center for Nutraceutics (IECN) attached to the department of pharmaceutical botany and ecology of the Faculty of Pharmacy in Hradec Králové that provides information, particularly to the practical pharmacists, about food supplements and their interaction with pharmaceuticals.
Since 2005 he has been leading the ADINACO Research Group dealing with potential effects of natural substances on the progress of Alzheimer disease.
Member of the Czech Pharmaceutical Society attached to the Czech Medical Association of J.E. Purkyně (ČLS JEP) (section of natural substances and pharmaceutical chemistry), Pharmaceutical Society of Japan, Czech Chemical Society (working group for organic, bioorganic and pharmaceutical chemistry), Pharmacopoeia Commission of Pharmacopoeia Bohemica (Pharmacognosy and Drug Nomenclature Section), member of a doctorate (PharmDr.) examination board for state final exams in pharmacognosy and toxicology of natural substances, member of specialized boards for Pharmacognocy and for Toxicology of natural substances (Ph.D.) Member of the editorial board of the magazine Research in Pig Breeding (VÚŽV Prague -Uhříněves).
Field of cooperation with Phyto CZ, s.r.o.
Professor Opletal has been working with us since 2009. As a member of the clinical team he specializes in effects of Chinese herbs on human health. He is a co-author of the input log that demonstrates effects of the PhytoChi herbal mixture on human organism. Since 2011 another field of our contractual cooperation has been the research and development of PTRM™ standards that ensure a connection to the traditional quality and traditional safety and efficiency of Chinese herbs. The cooperation concentrates on opportunities of practical utilization of the Phyto-True™ technology.